This lemon tart adds a touch of style to an afternoon tea.
- Takes 1hr + chilling
- Serves 8
- 160g almond flour
- 30ml arrowroot flour (from health stores)
- pinch salt
- 45ml xylitol syrup
- 45ml melted butter
- 10ml vanilla essence
FOR THE FILLING
- juice of 4 lemons
- 65g erythritol/xylitol
- 6 eggs
- 350ml double cream
- zest of 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Combine the flours and salt. Add the xylitol, butter and vanilla and mix to a soft dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll the pastry between 2 pieces of baking paper in a 25cm diameter circle. Freeze for 5 minutes.
Line the pastry in a 20cm diameter fluted pastry pan. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly crisp.
- Increase oven temperature to 180°C.
- For the filling, heat the lemon juice and xylitol on medium-high. Stir until well combined and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Place the eggs in a large bowl. Add the lemon syrup in a slow steady stream while whisking.
- Place the cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over the egg mixture
- Pass the egg mixture through a sieve. Add the lemon zest.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the lemon filling is almost set. Cool.
Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN PHOTOS: LEE SCHWAGELE CRPHOTOGRAPHIC
Magazine issue date: May, 2017