These little coffee cakes are any coffee lover's dream!
- 1 hr
- Makes 6 tall cakes
- 60ml instant coffee granules
- 30ml water
- 310ml castor sugar
- 3ml salt
- 280g butter, softened
- 6 large eggs
- 500ml self-raising flour
FOR THE ICING
- 200g soft butter
- 250ml icing sugar
- 10ml instant coffee granules
- 15ml warm water
- 100g milk chocolate, melted
- coffee beans, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line 6 x 410ml tins with baking paper (see note).
- Mix the coffee and water together. Beat the sugar, salt and butter until light and creamy. Add the eggs, singly, beating well after each addition. Mix in the flour and coffee. Spoon into the prepared tins and bake for about 35 minutes until a testing skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tins.
- For the coffee icing, beat the butter until pale, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Mix the coffee and water together, then add it to the butter mixture, with the chocolate.
- Remove the cooled cakes from the tins by pulling on the baking paper collar, then spoon dollops of icing on top.
Use tins with the top ‘lid’ cut off (base still intact). Cut 6 x 7cm circles out of baking paper and place inside the bottom of each tin. Cut 6 x 13cm x 21cm rectangles out of baking paper to form a tube to line the insides of the tins, leaving a 2cm collar sticking out.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: ROELENE PRINSLOO
Magazine issue date: July, 2013