We've turned a classic pudding into a low-carb indulgence. Enjoy this low-carb malva pudding with whipped cream or low-sugar custard.
- 40 mins
- butter, for greasing
- 50g xylitol
- 30ml diabetic (no sugar) apricot jam
- 4 eggs
- 220g almond flour
- 140g whey protein powder
- 10ml bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 50g butter, melted
- 30ml apple cider vinegar
- 250ml milk
FOR THE SAUCE
- 250ml cream
- 100g butter
- 25g xylitol
- 60ml water
- whipped cream or low-sugar custard, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a 20cm x 30cm shallow oven dish with baking paper and grease with butter.
- Whisk the xylitol, jam and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour, protein powder, bicarb and salt.
- Whisk together the butter, vinegar and milk.
- Whisk the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Fold in the egg mixture.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared oven dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- For the sauce, heat the ingredients on medium, stirring until dissolved.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, pour the sauce over the malva pudding. Serve with cream or custard.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN AND PHOTOS: SALIE VAN HEERDEN
Magazine issue date: July, 2016