This low-carb panna cotta with berries is so quick and easy to make.
- 30 mins + refrigeration
- 250ml full-cream milk
- 15ml gelatine powder
- 500ml cream
- 60ml xylitol
- zest of 1 lemon
- 8ml vanilla essence
FOR THE SAUCE
- 500ml fresh or frozen berries
- 5ml lemon juice
- 45ml xylitol
- Place the milk in a saucepan and sprinkle the gelatine on top. Allow to stand for 3-5 minutes or until the gelatine has softened.
- Heat on low, stirring, for 4-5 minutes, until the gelatine dissolves and the mixture is steaming. Do not boil the mixture.
- Add the cream, xylitol, zest and vanilla, and continue stirring for about 5 minutes, until the xylitol is fully dissolved and the mixture is steaming. Do not boil the mixture. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 6 glasses or ramekins. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours or until set.
- For the berry sauce, combine 250ml of the berries and the remaining ingredients. Bring to a low boil and cook for about 5 minutes or until it reaches a syrupy consistency.
- Stir in the remaining berries and remove from heat. When the syrup is at room temperature, spoon it over
the top of the chilled panna cottas.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY INGE BARTSCH AND RACHAEL KRUYER PHOTOS: LEE SCHWAGELE
Magazine issue date: August, 2016