Make a big batch of these marble-dipped heart cookies to share with your loved ones.
- 1 hr 30 mins + cooling
- Makes about 90
FOR THE COOKIES
- 200g soft butter
- 250ml castor sugar
- 10ml vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 625ml cake flour
- 3ml baking powder
- 3ml salt
FOR THE ROYAL ICING
- 330ml icing sugar, sifted
- 1 egg white
- 5ml water
- red and pink food colouring
- For the cookies, preheat oven to 180°C. Cream the butter and sugar until light. Beat in the vanilla and egg. Sift over the flour, baking powder and salt and fold in.
- Roll out to 5mm thickness between 2 sheets of baking paper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until firm. Cut into 4.5cm hearts with a cookiecutter. Place on baking paper-lined trays. Re-roll offcuts. Bake, one tray at a time, for 12-15 minutes, or until golden. Cool on the trays.
- For the icing, beat together all the ingredients for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. The icing should have the consistency of toothpaste. If it’s too stiff, add more water; if it’s too runny, add more icing sugar.
- Divide the icing into 3 bowls and colour one red and another pink. Place the 3 colours in one bowl and swirl a few times.
- Dip the top of a cookie into the icing, shaking off excess. Turn over and set on a cooling rack. Repeat with the rest. Set aside until hard.
Optional: Use a straw to cut holes out of the centres of the dough hearts before baking. Push a straw through when the icing has set to open the holes again. Thread onto straws and serve with iced coffee, milkshake or milk.
FEATURE: NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: February, 2020