You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the tastiness of this mealie ice cream.
- 20 mins + freezing
- Makes about 1L
- 3 whole mealies, kernels cut off
- 500ml cream
- 250ml milk
- 250ml castor sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 3ml salt
- 10ml vanilla essence
- Bring the kernels and cobs, cream, milk and ½ the sugar to a simmer on medium-high, stirring until dissolved. Remove from heat, cover and infuse for 1 hour.
- Remove cobs and blitz until a purée forms. Strain through a sieve. Heat to just before boiling point.
- Beat remaining sugar, yolks and salt until light and fluffy. Slowly add the mealie mixture to the yolk mixture, while beating. Heat on medium-high, while stirring with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes or until it coats the back of a spoon. Stir in the vanilla.
- Strain through a fine sieve. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours, beating every 2 hours to break up ice crystals.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: January, 2019