A tin of baked beans packs a lot of flavour in this Mexican Baked Eggs recipe.
- 30 mins
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 410g tin baked beans
- 400g tin Mexican tomato mix
- 6 eggs
- handful coriander, chopped
- flatbread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof frying pan on medium-high. Sauté onion and garlic.
- Add beans and tomato mix and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until slightly reduced. Season.
- Use a spoon to form 6 small holes in the mixture and break an egg into each hole. Season.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Serve with coriander and bread.
TRY THESE OTHER SCRUMPTIOUS RECIPES MADE WITH BEANS:
SWEET POTATOES AND BAKED BEANS
- Takes 35 mins
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place 4 halved small sweet potatoes on a baking tray, drizzle with 15ml olive oil and bake for about 25 minutes or until tender. Scoop out most of the flesh and place in a bowl. Leave the skins on the baking tray. Mix together 410g tin baked beans, 1 chopped red onion and a handful chopped parsley. Fold the baked bean mixture into the sweet potato flesh and season. Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins. Top with 100g grated mozzarella. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 mins
- Heat 30ml olive oil on medium-high. Sauté 1 chopped onion and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Add 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes and 1L vegetable stock. Squash the tomatoes with a fork. Add 410g tin baked beans and season. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.
BAKED BEAN DIP
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 mins
- Blitz 410g tin baked beans, 250ml sour cream, 5ml ground cumin, 1 crushed garlic clove and 2ml cayenne pepper until smooth. Season. Add handful chopped coriander. Serve with crudités or tortilla chips.
BAKED BEAN AND BACON JAFFLES
- Serves 4
- Takes 25 mins
- Spread butter on 8 slices white bread. Divide 8 slices cooked streaky bacon, 410g tin baked beans and 240g grated Cheddar over 4 slices bread, butter-side down. Place remaining slices, butter-side up, on top, and bake in a jaffle pan for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Magazine issue date: March, 2016