Whip up this easy and sugary Microwave Citrus Marmalade in just 30 mins.
- 30 mins
- Makes 4 x 250ml bottles
- 4 lemons
- 2 oranges
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15ml) apple pectin
- 4½ cups (1kg) castor sugar
- Peel the fruit very thinly with a vegetable peeler, ensuring no white pith makes its way in. Slice thinly into long strips. You can also use a julienne peeler.
- Cut 2 lemons, 1 orange and 1 grapefruit in half. Remove all the pips and place them in a small muslin bag. Tie with kitchen string to enclose. Squeeze the juices out of the cut fruits into a microwave-safe bowl. Add the muslin bag with pips and the water. Mix some of this liquid with the pectin to form a smooth paste and mix through the rest of the liquid. Microwave on high for about 10 minutes until very hot. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Microwave for a further 10 minutes. Add the zest and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Test the consistency. (*See note on page 76.)
- Skim any foam that comes to the surface regularly.
- Carefully pour the hot marmalade into 4 x 250ml sterilised jars (fill to the top), seal tightly and allow to cool. Store in a cool, dark place, or in the fridge.
This marmalade has very little bitterness, so it’s great for ‘beginners’.
Magazine issue date: December, 2012