Bring on the festivities with the fruity flavours in these mince pies!
- 1 hr + cooling
- Makes 12
FOR THE PASTRY
- 310ml cake flour
- pinch salt
- 80ml icing sugar
- 120g cold butter, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30ml ice-cold water
FOR THE FILLING
- 125ml fruit mince
- 30ml pecan nuts, finely chopped
- castor sugar, for dusting
- For the pastry, sift together the flour, salt and sugar. Rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Cut in the egg and water until the dough comes together. Shape into a flat disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- For the filling, combine all the ingredients.
- Grease a 12-hole tart tin with cooking spray. Roll the pastry out onto a flour-dusted surface to 4mm thickness. Cut 12 x 6.5cm rounds and use to line the holes. Fill each case with 10ml fruit mince and flatten.
- Reroll pastry offcuts, cut into shapes and arrange on top of the filling. Freeze for 20 minutes to firm up the pastry.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Bake for about 20 minutes. Cool in the tart cases for 10 minutes before turning out. Dust with castor sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: December, 2017