These delightful Mini Pineapple Tarts are delicious as dessert and for high teas.
- 50 mins
- Makes 6
- 100g butter
- 125ml (½ cup) brown sugar
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and sliced thickly
- 400g roll puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten thick cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Heat the butter and sugar on medium until melted.
- Add the pineapple slices and cook for about 10 minutes until the slices are cooked but not too soft. Lift the slices from the sauce, draining off all the excess syrup.
- Place the sugar syrup back on the heat and cook on low until it starts to caramelise. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface until 3mm thick. Cut 6 x 8cm pastry circles and place on a non-stick baking tray. Top each circle with a slice of pineapple and brush the pastry edges with egg.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until puffed and golden. Drizzle with the remaining syrup and serve warm with a dollop of cream.
Magazine issue date: October, 2015