Mushroom meatballs and spaghetti make the perfect mid-week dinner.
- 50 mins + chilling
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml instant oats
- 250ml fresh breadcrumbs
- handful parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3ml dried oregano
- 700g jar tomato passata
- handful basil, chopped
- spaghetti, to serve
- grated pecorino, to serve
- Heat a splash of oil on medium-high and sauté the onion and mushrooms for about 15 minutes or until golden and all the water has evaporated. Season. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Cool.
- Add the oats, breadcrumbs, parsley, eggs and oregano. Season. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Shape tablespoons of the mixture into balls. Heat a splash of oil on medium-high and fry for about 5 minutes or until golden. Add the passata and cook on low for 10 minutes. Stir through basil. Serve with spaghetti and pecorino.
Rinse the spaghetti before freezing, topped with the sauce.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: August, 2016