Now coeliacs can have their cake and eat it too with this classic Orange and Almond Cake.
- 2 hrs 45 mins
- 2 oranges
- 6 eggs
- 180ml (¾ cup) castor sugar + extra
- 250g ground almonds
- 5ml (1t) gluten-free baking powder
- icing sugar, for dusting
- zest of 1 orange (optional)
- whipped or double-thick cream, to serve
- Cook the oranges in boiling water, covered, for 2 hours. Adjust the water if necessary. Drain and allow the oranges to cool before pureeing them (with the skin and pips) in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a 20cm springform cake tin with baking paper. Beat the eggs and sugar together. Stir in the orange purée, almonds and baking powder.
- Pour into the prepared tin and dust the top with extra castor sugar. Bake for about 1½ hours until the top is golden brown. Dust with icing sugar, scatter orange zest over if you like and serve with whipped or double-thick cream.
Magazine issue date: May, 2015