Oxtail is definitely one of our all-time favourite dishes.
- 2 hrs 35 mins
- Serves 4-6
- 1.5kg oxtail
- 100ml cake flour
- 30ml sunflower oil
- 15ml olive or avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 250ml red wine
- 375ml beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 5ml thyme
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Toss the oxtail in the flour, season and shake off excess flour. Heat the sunflower oil in a heavy-based casserole and brown the meat for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden-brown all over. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based, ovenproof pot and fry the garlic and onion over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add the reserved oxtail with any meat juices and the wine. Allow to cook for 2 minutes before adding the stock, bay leaves and thyme.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Stir in the carrots, season again and return, covered, to the oven for a further hour, or until the oxtail is tender. Skim off any excess oil.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
Magazine issue date: July, 2019