Impress your guests and family with this paella dish that has an extra kick for your tastebuds.
- 1 hr
- 1.2L chicken stock
- 5ml turmeric
- 125ml olive oil
- 175g chorizo sausage, sliced
- 250g bacon, sliced
- 200g calamari tentacles
- 18 mussels, cleaned
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2.5ml chilli flakes
- 600ml Spekko Brown Rice
- 4ml paprika
- 125ml dry white wine
- 1 x 410g tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 100g fresh or frozen peas
- handful fresh dill, chopped
- Combine the chicken stock and turmeric in a saucepan and bring to boil. Keep it warm on the stove.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large, deep frying pan and fry off the chorizo and bacon until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and set aside
- Fry the calamari and mussels in the same oil for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Discard any mussels that didn’t open.
- Fry the chicken in the same pan for 10 minutes per side until golden in colour. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Pour the remaining oil into the pan and fry off the garlic, onion and red pepper until just softened. Add the thyme, chilli flakes and rice. Stir for 5 minutes until the rice is covered with the oil.
- Stir in the paprika and add the wine. Reduce the wine quickly and stir well. Add half of the chicken stock, chorizo, bacon, chicken and calamari and cook for 30 minutes on low, stirring occasionally. Add more stock when the rice cooks dry.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir in the mussels and peas and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with dill.
You can make this paella over a kettle braai if you have a deep paella or wok pan that fits over the braai. Start with hot coals to brown everything and then remove some of the coals for a medium heat to cook the rice.
Magazine issue date: January, 2015