Surprise your guests with this Pavlova with Mascarpone and Red Berries for dessert.
- 2 hrs
- Makes 8 meringues
- 4 egg whites
- 250g castor sugar
- 15ml cornflour
FOR THE SYRUP
- 310ml white wine
- 200ml castor sugar
- 2 strawberries, hulled
- 250ml mascarpone
- red berries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with wax paper.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff, but not dry, peaks. Add the sugar a spoonful at a time and keep beating until you have a thick glossy consistency. Add the cornflour and beat well.
- Spoon 8 large individual dollops of the meringue mixture onto the tray. Place into the hot oven and immediately turn the heat down to 140°C. Bake the pavlovas for about an hour and a half. They will rise slowly and turn a lovely caramel colour with a crisp meringue look. The insides will be light and marshmallowy… almost like a fairy cake! Remove from the oven and cool.
- For the syrup, bring the wine and sugar to a boil. Add the strawberries and reduce the mixture to a syrupy consistency. Remove the strawberries and discard. The syrup will be a delicious pink colour.
- Place each pavlova on a pretty plate, spoon a dollop of mascarpone on top, heap some red berries around and drizzle with the syrup.
Use a little less sugar than usual as it makes for a lighter meringue.
Magazine issue date: February, 2016