This Peppadew Chutney is delicious on burgers or served with your favourite dishes!
- 1 hr
- Makes 4 x 250ml bottles
- 3 x 400g bottles mild Peppadew®
- Piquanté Peppers, roughly chopped (keep the vinegar)
- 4 red onions, chopped
- 4 white onions, chopped
- 1½ cups (375ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper
- Mix the Peppadew® Piquanté Peppers and their vinegar, onions, sugar, water and chilli together in a large saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat and cook for 1 hour until the sauce has thickened. Season. Test the consistency.
- Skim any foam that comes to the surface regularly.
- Carefully pour the hot sauce into 4 x 250ml sterilised jars (fill to the top), seal tightly and allow to cool. Store in a cool, dark place or in the fridge.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
✻ Serve with a selection of cheeses and biscuits. ✻ Use as a dip for spring rolls, chicken pies or samoosas. ✻ Delicious with grilled or braaied seafood.
Magazine issue date: July, 2012