These pepper steak pies are the perfect comfort food for a cold snuggly evening at home.
- 1 hr 30 mins + cooling
- Makes 4
- 30ml cake flour
- 400g beef chuck steak, cubed
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10ml ground black pepper
- small handful thyme, leaves picked
- 375ml beef stock
- 2 x 400g puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten
- Season the flour and coat the beef. Heat a splash of oil on medium-high and brown the beef in batches for about 5 minutes. Season and set aside.
- Add another splash of oil and sauté the onion. Return the beef, together with the pepper, thyme and stock. Stir through, cover and cook for about 35 minutes or until tender and the sauce has thickened. Stir occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the pot, and adjust the stock as necessary to prevent it from drying out. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Cut 1 of the puff pastries into 4 equal squares. Line 4 x 180ml dariole moulds or any other heatproof moulds with the squares, leaving a 5mm pastry rim. Brush the pastry rims with egg. Spoon the beef mixture into the pastry cases. Cut the remaining puff pastry sheet into 4 x 8cm circles. Cover with pastry circles and press the edges together. Brush with egg and cut a cross into the top of each pie. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden and cooked.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO PHOTOS DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: Jul, 2018