Serve this comforting and heart-healthy Peter Pumpkin Eater Pasta dish as a main dish.
- 1 hr
- 500g pumpkin cubes
- olive or avocado oil, for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125g sour cream
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 300g spaghetti
- 250g diced bacon
- 250g mushrooms (see note)
- olive or avocado oil, for cooking
- 250g halloumi, cubed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 60ml pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place pumpkin on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and season. Roast for about 30 minutes or until golden. Mash together the pumpkin, garlic, sour cream and chilli. Season.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water for about 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving 125ml of the cooking liquid.
- Dry-fry the bacon on medium-high for about 8 minutes or until crisp. Add the mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- Heat a splash of oil on medium-high (in the same pan) and fry the halloumi for about 5 minutes or until golden all over. Squeeze lemon juice over.
- Heat the pasta with the reserved cooking liquid and pumpkin sauce. Sprinkle halloumi, bacon mixture and seeds over.
NOTE: We used exotic mushrooms, but you can use sliced button mushrooms too.
Magazine issue date: February, 2016