Making Pickled Onions is worth the effort, as they make a delicious preserve.
- 2 days
- 2 kg pickling onions
- 750 g sea salt
For the pickling liquid
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) white wine or brown vinegar
- 4 tsp (20 ml) salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) brown sugar
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) peppercorns
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) whole allspice
- Dissolve the salt in a large bowl of water, add the pickling onions and leave to soak for two days. Stir gently twice a day.
- Drain and peel the onions, making sure that at least one end is intact. Add the onions to a large bowl and cover with freshly boiled water.
- Allow to cool completely. Drain the water and repeat the process twice more.
- Spoon the onions into two sterilised 700ml jars.
- Combine all the pickling ingredients in a medium saucepan set over moderate heat, stir and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, strain and pour over the onions. Seal the jars and use after 2-3 weeks
Magazine issue date: May, 2013