These Pickled Red Cabbage Aubergine Rolls are dairy-free, vegan friendly and great as a snack.
- 1 hr 15 mins
- 125ml lemon juice
- 250ml vinegar
- 15ml brown sugar
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 small purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 100g pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 3 medium aubergines
- olive oil cooking spray
- 15ml ground cumin
- 125g hummus
- Combine the lemon juice, vinegar and sugar. Add the onion and cabbage and set aside for at least 30 minutes. Drain (you can reuse the vinegar mixture) and mix through the olives.
- Meanwhile, trim the aubergines and slice lengthways into 4mm-thick slices. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle the cumin over. Season.
- Heat a griddle pan or large frying pan on medium and fry the aubergine slices for 2-3 minutes on each side or until charred and cooked.
- Place the aubergine slices on a chopping board and spread with a generous layer of hummus. Top with the pickled vegetables. Roll up each slice to enclose the filling.
HEALTH INFO The plant pigment anthocyanin gives this group their distinctive colour and has been shown to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and increase heart health.
Magazine issue date: February, 2016