The Piperade with Peppers dish makes a deliciously messy snack, best served as brunch.
- 50 mins
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 4 red peppers, sliced into strips
- 4 green peppers, sliced into strips
- 4 yellow peppers, sliced into strips
- 4 small leeks, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml olive or avocado oil
- 8 anchovies
- large handful basil, roughly chopped
- 15ml thyme, leaves picked
- Turn on the grill in your oven. Roast all the peppers for about 20 minutes, turning them the moment the skin turns dark. Allow them to cool down before peeling them. Make sure that you painstakingly remove all the pips. Do not be tempted to rinse them – you will only succeed in washing off the fabulously tasty juices that have been released by the roasting process.
- Blanch and peel the tomatoes (see tip) and chop the flesh. Heat the tomatoes, peppers, oil, and anchovies, and gently poach everything together in a casserole for about 10 minutes. The anchovies will melt into the mixed peppers and add an amazing flavour.
- Stir the basil and thyme into the mixture and serve immediately.
To blanch tomatoes, make a small cross in the base of each tomato. Quickly place the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Take out and place in ice water. The skins should peel off easily from the cut side.
Magazine issue date: October, 2015