This meaty Potato Skin Snack Platter is a great match-day snack for dads!
- 1 hr 30 mins
FOR THE STUFFED POTATO BOATS
- 4 large potatoes, scrubbed well
- olive or avocado oil, for brushing
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 300g sirloin steak
- 230g smoked ham flavour or plain cream cheese
- 100g smoked or plain mozzarella, grated
FOR THE SOUR CREAM DIP
- 250ml sour cream
- 60ml milk
- small handful chives, thinly sliced
FOR THE FRIED POTATO SKINS
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 750ml potato skins
- BBQ spice, for seasoning
- For the stuffed potato boats, preheat oven to 200°C. Place potatoes onto a baking tray and brush with oil. Bake for about 1 hour or until soft. Cool until you can handle them.
- Increase oven to 220°C. Cut each potato in half lengthways. Scoop out most of the flesh, leaving a 1cm layer.
- Generously brush the potato skins with oil, season and bake, skin-side up, for 10 minutes. Turn over, brush with oil, and bake for 5 minutes.
- Heat a splash of oil over medium-high and sauté the onion. Keep aside. Fry the steak in the same pan for about 3 minutes on each side or to your liking. Season. Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
- Spoon cream cheese into the potato skins and top with fried onion and steak. Sprinkle the mozzarella over. Cook under a hot grill for about 1 minute or until the cheese has melted.
- For the dip, combine the ingredients. Season.
- For the potato skins, heat the oil on medium-high and deep-fry the skins for about 8 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain and sprinkle with BBQ spice. Serve with the boats and the dip.
Magazine issue date: March, 2016