The Preserved Lemons or Limes take 6 months to prepare and are great with cheese platters.
- 15 mins
- 7-8 lemons or 15 limes
- ½ cup (100g) coarse sea salt
- Halve the lemons. Rub the exposed flesh well with the salt.
- Tightly pack the lemons in a large sterilised jar and add the remaining salt.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- The next day, press down on the lemons to get the juices flowing.
- Repeat every 2-3 days until the lemons are covered with liquid. If the fruit does not have enough juice, add freshly squeezed juice to cover them.
- Keep refrigerated for 6 months and it will be ready to use after 3-4 weeks, or when the skins have gone soft.
Use in stews or as an accompaniment to cheese platters.
Magazine issue date: May, 2013