This creamy chicken and mushroom pasta recipe is a winner in a pressure cooker – you’ll never make it any other way again!
- 20 mins
- olive or avocado oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 10ml paprika
- 15ml Cajun spice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.25L hot chicken stock
- 750ml macaroni
- 60ml cake flour
- 30ml soft butter
- 250ml cream
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- basil, to serve
- finely grated pecorino, to serve
- crushed dried chillies, to serve
- Heat a splash of oil on the sauté function of a pressure cooker (or use a frying pan) and fry the chicken in batches until golden. Sprinkle over the paprika and Cajun spice. Season.
- Add garlic and stock and bring to a boil. Stir in the macaroni. Cover and cook on high for about 4 minutes. Release pressure and open.
- Mix together the flour and butter until combined. Stir through the pasta mixture with the cream and mushrooms. Cover and cook for 2 minutes to thicken sauce. Season. Release pressure and open. Serve with basil, pecorino and chillies.
Pressure cooker tip: Browning meat adds depth of flavour to dishes, although it’s not completely necessary. We recommend browning meat in a separate frying pan for best colour and to save time.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: June, 2018