These quick-mix savoury doughnuts are great sandwich alternatives for lunchboxes or trendy teatime treats when wrapped in sushi ingredients.
- 35 mins + cooling
- Makes 6
- 250ml cake flour
- 3ml baking powder
- 3ml bicarbonate of soda
- 3ml salt
- 15ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 125ml buttermilk
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 60ml Cheddar, grated
- 30ml melted butter + extra
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 6 x 9.5cm doughnut pans. Combine flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and sugar.
- Beat together the egg, buttermilk, onions, Cheddar and butter. Stir into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Spoon 45ml of the batter into the prepared pans until ¾ full. Smooth tops. Bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Brush tops with extra butter as soon as they come out of the oven. Cool in the pans before turning out.
Spread tops of doughnuts with cream cheese and wasabi paste, if you like. Wrap in smoked salmon, cucumber ribbons, thin avocado shavings, pickled ginger and sesame seeds.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: June, 2018