This red curry soup is low carb, vegan friendly, gluten free and packed with flavour!
- 40 mins
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm ginger, finely grated
- 15ml red curry paste
- 15ml ground turmeric
- 400g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 410g tin coconut milk
- 750ml low-sodium vegetable stock + extra
- 150g extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
- blanched veggies, to serve (see tip)
- coriander, to serve sesame seeds, to sprinkle (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium and sauté the onion, garlic and ginger. Add the curry paste
and turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potato, coconut milk and stock. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sweet
potatoes are soft. Blitz until smooth. Thin with extra stock to your liking.
- Heat a splash of oil on medium-high and fry the tofu for about 10 minutes or until golden brown all over. Season.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and top with the tofu, veggies, coriander and sesame seeds.
Tip: Use whatever veggies you have available, like sliced spring onions, shredded red or green cabbage, asparagus tips, fine green beans, julienned carrots, julienned baby marrows, bell pepper strips, sliced mushrooms, broccoli florets, snap peas and bean sprouts.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: August, 2016