Spread the love in the office or at school with these red velvet and cherry slices.
- 50 mins + cooling
- Makes about 28 squares
FOR THE RED VELVET BASE
- 120g soft butter
- 250ml sugar
- 10ml vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 310ml cake flour
- pinch salt
- 45ml cocoa powder
- 30ml red food colouring
FOR THE CHERRY FILLING
- 250g tub cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100g soft butter
- 250ml icing sugar, sifted
- pinch salt
- zest of 1 lime
- drop pink food colouring + extra
- 60ml maraschino cherries, halved
- 60ml desiccated coconut, toasted
FOR THE GANACHE TOPPING
- 250g white chocolate, chopped
- 100ml cream
- For the base, preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 17cm x 27cm baking dish with baking paper, leaving a 2cm overhang for easy removal.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating until well incorporated. Sift over flour, salt and cocoa and mix until just combined. Mix through the food colouring. Pour into prepared dish. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre
comes out clean. Cool.
- For the filling, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the icing sugar and salt. Beat in the zest and food colouring. Fold in cherries and coconut. Carefully spread over the cooled base. Refrigerate.
- For the topping, heat the chocolate and cream in the microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Take out 20ml of the mixture and colour this pink with extra food colouring.
- Pour the white ganache over the filling and spoon small dollops of warm pink ganache on top. Working quickly, pull a skewer through each of the circles to create hearts. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight until set. Using a sharp knife and cleaning it after each slice, cut into about 28 squares or 14-16 slices.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY ALFRED NQAYI PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: Feb, 2018