Make these lovely Red Velvet Truffles as a dessert treat for special celebrations.
- 1 hr + cooling
- Makes about 40
- 60g soft butter
- 80ml light brown sugar, packed
- ½ x 385g tin condensed milk
- 30ml beetroot pulp (see tip)
- 250ml cake flour
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- red fondant hearts
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale. Stir in the condensed milk and beetroot. Fold in the flour.
- Shape into 2.5cm balls. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover and freeze for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, heat the chocolate in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Using a fork, dip the truffles, one at a time, into the melted chocolate until completely covered. Allow the excess to drip off and place back on the baking paper. Top with a heart before the chocolate sets. Leave to set or speed things up by placing them in the fridge for a few minutes.
Love chocolate? Try these scrumptious chocolate treats!
✤ To make beetroot pulp, peel and blitz 1 small raw beetroot until smooth and measure out the amount needed. ✤ If the balls are too soft or not holding up while dipping, place them back in the freezer for 5 minutes to harden. ✤ Pop the dipping chocolate back into the microwave for a few seconds if it starts to go hard.
Magazine issue date: February, 2016