Impress your guests and serve this Roast Beef and Pork Roulade as an appetiser.
- 50 mins + setting
- 2 handfuls parsley
- 80ml pecorino, finely grated
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60ml olive or avocado oil
- 800g beef flank steak
- 150g Parma or Serrano ham, thinly sliced
- Blitz together the parsley, pecorino, lemon zest and juice, garlic and oil. Season.
- Place a double layer of plastic wrap on a work surface and place the steak on top. Cover with more plastic wrap. Beat the steak with a mallet or a pan until it is less than 1cm thick.
- Remove the plastic and season the steak. Place the ham on top. Spread a layer of the parsley mixture on the meat, leaving a 1cm border.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll the meat up tightly with the grain of the meat (when you slice it later, it will be cut against the grain, making it more tender). Tie the meat roll with kitchen string.
- Heat a splash of oil on high in a large frying pan and sear the roulade for about 5 minutes or until browned all over. Season.
- Place the roulade in a roasting pan, seam-side down. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove the meat from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
SERVING SUGGESTION Serve with market finds like pickles, roast tomatoes, mustard and crusty bread.
Magazine issue date: February, 2016