This roast mustard beef with mushroom sauce is an easy way to serve steak to a crowd.
- 1 hr 20 mins
- 1.5kg beef rib eye roast, tied up
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 30ml wholegrain mustard
- 30ml butter
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 250ml cream
- handful thyme, leaves picked
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15ml soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat a splash of oil in an ovenproof saucepan on high and fry the beef for about 10 minutes or until browned all over. Season.
- Remove from heat and spread all over with mustard. Roast for about 1 hour for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Cover with foil and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat the butter in the same pan on high and fry the mushrooms until golden. Season. Set aside. Add the cream, thyme and garlic to the pan, scraping the base, and cook for about 5 minutes or until reduced.
- Return the mushrooms and add the soy. Place the roast in the sauce and serve.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: December, 2018