Make this simple salad bowl; it's vegan friendly, gluten-free and packed with healthy benefits and flavour.
- 30 mins
FOR THE DRESSING
- 30ml tahini
- 80ml olive oil + extra
- 60ml red wine vinegar
FOR THE FALAFEL
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- handful parsley
- 5ml each ground cumin and coriander
FOR THE SALAD
- 4 butter lettuce leaves, chopped
- ½ cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- 15ml black sesame seeds (optional)
- For the dressing, combine all the ingredients. Season.
- For the falafel, blitz ¾ of the onion with the remaining ingredients until smooth. Season. Shape into 15ml balls. Cook the balls under a hot grill for 10-15 minutes or until golden and firm (they’ll firm up more while cooling).
- For the salad, divide all the ingredients between 4 bowls with the remaining onion and falafel (warm or cold). Serve with the dressing.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: February, 2019