A quick and healthy salmon quiche recipe that's perfect for dinner.
- 35 - 40mins
- 400g ready-made shortcrust pastry, defrosted
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 410g tin pink salmon, drained, deboned and flaked
- 2 eggs
- 125ml cream
- 60ml crème fraîche
- handful chives, chopped
- 60g Cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Roll out the pastry to 5mm thickness. Cut 6 x 12cm rounds with a cookie cutter and line 6 x 10cm quiche pans with the pastry. Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork. Line each quiche with scrunched baking paper and fill with baking weights, like dry beans. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly set. Remove baking beans and paper.
- Heat the oil on medium-high and sauté the onion and garlic. Divide the onion mixture and salmon among the quiche bases.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, crème fraîche and chives. Season. Pour the egg mixture into the quiche bases and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN PHOTOS: SALIE VAN HEERDEN
Magazine issue date: June, 2016