Enjoy this Salt-crusted Whole White Fish as the main dish when entertaining guests!
- 30 mins
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1,5kg white fish, cleaned
- white pepper
- 1 lemon
- 3 egg whites
- 1kg salt
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Rub oil into a baking tray. Place the fish on top of the tray and season lightly with white pepper and a little lemon juice.
- Fold the egg whites into the salt and, using your hands, pack the salt thickly over the fish, leaving the head and tail uncovered. Place the slices of lime on top of the salt and slide the fish into the hot oven. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the oven. Keep the crispy lime slices on the side. Lightly whack the hardened salt with the back of a spoon to crack it open. Remove the pieces of salt from the fish – beware of the steam!
- Gently place the cooked fish onto a serving platter, redecorate with the lime slices and serve immediately with this delicious artichokes and asparagus side.
Want more? Try these delicious fish recipes:
Magazine issue date: January, 2016