This might just be the best chocolate cupcake you'll ever taste!
- 1 hr 20 + cooling
- Makes 7 large
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 60g soft butter
- 250ml castor sugar
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 15ml vanilla essence
- 80ml sour cream
- 250ml cake flour
- pinch salt
- 3ml bicarbonate of soda
- 125ml cocoa powder
- 5ml instant coffee granules
- 125ml water
FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
- 80ml castor sugar
- 15ml water
- 30ml butter, cubed
- 60ml cream
- pinch salt
FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL ICING
- 125g soft butter
- 8ml vanilla essence
- 750ml icing sugar
- 80ml chocolate spread, like Nutella (optional)
- milk, for thinning out
- For the cupcakes, preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 jumbo muffin pans with 7 x 250ml cupcake cases. Beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the chocolate and mix until just combined. Beat in the eggs and egg
yolks, one at a time, until just combined. Mix in oil, vanilla and sour cream.
- Sift together flour, salt, bicarb and cocoa. Fold dry ingredients with the coffee into chocolate mixture. Mix in water until just combined. Spoon into prepared cups until ¾ full.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire racks to room temperature.
- For the sauce, heat the sugar and water on medium, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, for about 10 minutes or until a golden caramel forms.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the butter and whisk until combined. Whisk in the cream. Remove from heat and whisk in the salt. Cool.
- For the icing, beat the butter and vanilla until pale. Beat in the icing sugar, cup by cup. Add 60ml of the salted caramel sauce and mix for 3 minutes. Add 15-30ml milk if the icing is too stiff to pipe, but don’t add too much or the icing won’t keep shape. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle.
- Optional: Use a cupcake corer or teaspoon to remove 10ml cake from each cupcake. Fill with chocolate
spread and replace the cupcake lid.
- Pipe icing onto cupcakes. Thin out the leftover caramel sauce with about 5ml milk, if necessary, for a pourable consistency and drizzle over the icing.
Click here to learn how to make the piped cupcake topper
FEATURE: NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: September, 2016