Lizelle Solomon of Alberton’s Summer Berry Swirl Cheesecake was crowned South Africa’s best cheesecake at the 2016 Lancewood Cake-Off and once you taste it you'll know why!
- 1 hr 45 minutes + cooling
- 8 - 12
FOR THE CRUST
- 25 Oreo chocolate biscuits
- 80g soft butter
- 40g ground almonds
FOR THE BERRY COULIS
- 60ml water
- 500ml frozen summer berries
- 125ml castor sugar
FOR THE FILLING
- 750g Lancewood Full Fat Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 200ml Lancewood Double Cream Plain Yogurt, at room temperature
- 180ml castor sugar
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- baby figs
- fresh blueberries
- gold dust
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 22cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
2. For the crust, blitz the cookies, butter and almonds until smooth. Press the mixture firmly into the base and about 4cm up the sides of the prepared tin. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely.
3. For the coulis, bring all the ingredients to a boil and simmer until thick. Cool.
4. For the filling, beat together all the ingredients until smooth. Spoon into the cookie base. Spoon the coulis on top, in the middle of the cream cheese mixture. Use a knife to swirl in.
5. Lower the oven to 160°C and bake for 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 140°C and bake for 45-60 minutes or until just set.
6. Allow to cool in the oven for 1 hour. Chill overnight in the fridge. Dust the figs and blueberries with gold dust and place on top of cheesecake to serve.