This savoury butternut cheesecake is perfect for brunch.
- 2 hrs 30 mins + cooling
FOR THE CRUST
- 200g savoury crackers
- 150g butter, melted
- 5ml ground cumin
- 125ml sesame seeds
FOR THE FILLING
- 300g Ricotta, at room temperature
- 2 x 230g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 10ml salt
- 3ml ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500ml cooked mashed butternut
- handful chives, finely chopped
- pumpkin seeds and baby leaves, to serve
- For the crust, preheat oven to 230°C. Line a 20cm springform cake tin. Blitz the crackers until crushed.
Mix through remaining ingredients. Press into prepared tin and press 2cm up the sides. Set in the fridge.
- For the filling, beat together the ricotta and cream cheese. Add the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic, butternut and chives
and mix until well combined. Pour into the lined tin.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to 120°C and bake for about 2 hours, or until the sides are cooked, but
still slightly wobbly in the centre. Turn the oven off and leave to cool in the oven.
- Turn out onto a serving plate. Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and baby leaves.
Variation: For non-vegetarians, sprinkle with crispy diced bacon.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY: NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART AND HEMA PATEL
Magazine issue date: April, 2020