Sheet pan flapjacks are the easy way to make a bunch of flapjacks at once.
- 30 minutes
- 500ml self-raising flour
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 3ml salt
- 500ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 30ml golden syrup + extra
- 45ml butter, melted
FOR THE TOPPINGS
- 45ml peanut butter
- 1 banana, sliced
- 45ml dark chocolate, chopped
- 125ml raspberries
- 45ml white chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 230°C. Grease a 23cm x 40cm tray. Sift together, flour, bicarb and salt. Make a well in the centre, add the buttermilk, eggs and syrup and stir until just combined. Whisk in the butter (the batter will be lumpy). Spread evenly on the prepared tray.
- For the topping, heat the peanut butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds until melted and drizzle over half of the batter. Top this half with banana and dark chocolate. Sprinkle the raspberries and white chocolate over the other half.
- Place the tray in the oven and turn the heat down to 200°C. Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown and a testing skewer comes out clean. Serve with extra syrup.
Use any other topping of your choice, think fruit (like blueberries, sliced strawberry or chopped apple), nuts or spreads (like Nutella).
Feature: Margie Els-Burger Assisted by Nomvuselelo Mncube Photo: Dylan Swart
Magazine issue date: January, 2020