Shortbread slices topped with salty caramel - just delectable!
- 55 mins
- Makes 15-20
- 375ml cake flour
- 100g butter, cubed
- pinch salt
- 80ml icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 60ml ice water
FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL
- 250ml sugar
- 60ml boiling water
- 180ml cream
- 60ml butter
- 5ml crushed sea salt + extra
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 30cm x 23cm square baking tin with baking paper. Rub in the flour,
icing sugar, butter and salt with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and water and cut in with a cold knife until the dough binds together. Add more water if the mixture is too dry.
- Press the pastry into the prepared tin. Chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes until firm.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until lightly brown. Leave to cool in the tin.
- For the caramel, heat the sugar and water on medium and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat
and bring to boil without stirring. Use a wet pastry brush to wash down any sugar crystals on the sides of the pot. Boil for about 15 minutes until a deep caramel forms.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream. The mixture will bubble. Stir in the butter and salt.
- Pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread and leave it to set for about 45 minutes. Slice and sprinkle
with extra sea salt before serving.
FEATURE: NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: Mar, 2015