These shortbread star cookies are delicious teatime treats!
- 40 mins + cooling
- Makes about 40
- 250g soft butter
- 160ml castor sugar + extra
- zest of 1 orange
- 100g ground almonds
- 430ml cake flour
- 80ml cornflour
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line baking trays with baking paper. Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy. Stir in the orange zest and almonds.
- Sift the flours and salt over the butter mixture and fold in until just combined. Roll out on a flour-dusted surface to 4-5mm thickness and cut into star shapes with a 7cm cookie cutter. Place on prepared trays. Reroll offcuts once.
- Bake, 1 tray at a time, for about 12 minutes or until light golden. Cool on the trays. Roll in extra castor sugar.
- Use any size cookie cutter and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- For snowy white cookies, roll in icing sugar.
- Make a hole in the stars before baking. Thread ribbon through to hang onto trees over the Festive period.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: December, 2017