The Soetkoekie Christmas Trees are a delicious treat to make - or give as yummy gifts!
- 1 hr 30 mins
- Makes about 60 cookies
- 180ml (¾ cup) castor sugar
- 200g soft butter
- 1 egg
- 5ml (1t) vanilla essence
- 580ml (21/3 cups) cake flour
- pinch salt
- 180g mint Sparkles sweets, finely crushed (optional)
- For the cookies, beat the sugar and butter until pale. Add the egg and vanilla and mix through. Sift the flour and salt over and stir through. Shape into a flat disc, cover and rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes until firm.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line baking trays with silicone pads or baking paper. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 4mm thick and cut into different-size stars with cookie cutters. Place on the prepared trays, leaving enough space for rising in between.
- Cut smaller stars out of each of the cookies and sprinkle the crushed
Sparkles into the centre of each cookie. Keep in the fridge until firm. Re-roll the offcuts. Bake in batches for about 12 minutes until lightly golden around the edges. Leave to cool on the tray.
- Stack the cookies on top of each other, starting with the biggest and ending with the smallest, to look like Christmas trees, if you like.
VARIATION For a fun variation, use the fruity Sparkles for ‘coloured glass’ centres. Alternatively, leave the sweets out altogether and dust the trees with icing sugar.
Magazine issue date: December, 2015