Invite your friends over for a hearty Sotho beef stew with steamed bread.
- 2 hrs 15
FOR THE STEW
- sunflower oil, for frying
- 1.5kg stewing beef on the bone, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500ml beef stock
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm pieces
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm blocks
- handful parsley, chopped
FOR THE STEAMED BREAD
- 675g cake flour
- 10ml instant dry yeast
- 10ml salt
- 20ml sugar
- 750ml warm water
- For the stew, heat a splash of oil on medium-high and fry the beef in batches for about 5 minutes or until browned. Season and keep aside.
- Heat another splash of oil in the same saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic. Return the meat. Add the stock and cook for 1 hour or until tender.
- For the bread, grease a 2.5L enamel dish or heatproof bowl. Combine the dry ingredients. Add the water and stir until it comes together. Turn out onto a flour-dusted surface and knead for about 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Transfer the dough into the prepared bowl. Cover and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Bring about 6cm of water to a boil in a large saucepan on medium. Add the bowl with the dough, making sure none of the water goes into the bowl. Cover and steam for about 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Add the carrots and potatoes to the stew and cook for 30 minutes until tender. Season and mix parsley through. Serve with the steamed bread.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: ANDREA CALDWELL
Magazine issue date: September, 2016