These spanspek Caprese salads make the perfect entertaining starter.
- 30 mins
- 2 balls burrata cheese, torn
- ½ spanspek
- ½ winter melon
- handful mint, chopped + extra
- 6 slices Parma ham, torn
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 60ml olive oil
- 30ml honey
- juice of 1 lemon
- small handful basil + extra
- Divide the burrata between 6 glasses. Use a melon baller to cut the spanspek and melon into balls. Mix the mint through and spoon into the glasses with scrunched pieces of ham.
- For the vinaigrette, blitz together all the ingredients until smooth. Season. Serve drizzled over the salads and top with extra mint and basil.
Replace burrata with bocconcini (small mozzarella balls) or cubed mozzarella.
Did you know?
Burrata is an Italian cow’s milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream. The outer shell is solid mozzarella, while the inside contains stracciatella (soft, stringy curd) and cream, giving it an unusual, soft texture.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: September, 2019