This easy spatchcock jerk chicken recipe is the best!
- 1 hr 15 + marinating
- 1 whole chicken
- 60ml BBQ or peri-peri marinade
- 45ml jerk chicken spice
- lime wedges, to serve
- coriander leaves, to serve
- Place the chicken on a chopping board, breast-side down. Using scissors, cut along both sides of the backbone from top to tail and remove the bone. Turn the chicken over and flatten using the palm of your hand to push down the breastbone.
- Smear the marinade over the chicken and set aside for 30 minutes. Scrape off excess marinade and reserve.
- Sprinkle the jerk spice evenly over the chicken, then braai or roast in the oven at 200°C for 50-60 minutes, or until cooked, basting with reserved marinade towards the end of the cooking time.
- Serve with limes and coriander.
Note: To make your own jerk chicken spice, combine 10ml paprika, 5ml cayenne pepper, 2 crushed dried red chillies, 5ml crushed cumin seeds, 15ml dried oregano, salt and pepper.
Magazine issue date: September, 2016