Enjoy a mid-week Spiced Creme Caramel dessert packed with the right amount of delicious goodness.
- 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 x 385g tins condensed milk
- 500ml cream
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- pinch nutmeg
- 500ml sugar
- 500ml water
- 4 egg yolks
- 5ml vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Spray a 10cm x 18cm cake pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the condensed milk, cream, star anise, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil while stirring. Remove from the heat immediately and cover with a lid to let it infuse.
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan on medium high and stir to dissolve the sugar before it starts boiling (the moment it starts to boil, do not stir). Cook the caramel until it becomes a golden straw colour, then pour it into the cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and vanilla essence. Strain the spiced cream mixture and add it to the eggs. Stir well.
- Pour the custard on the back of a large spoon into the cake pan. Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until it starts to set. Leave it to cool completely for 3-4 hours before turning the crème caramel out.
Magazine issue date: January, 2015