This delicious spicy lentil stew adds a bit of heat to the colder days and is so easy to prepare.
- 50 mins
- 30ml olive or avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3ml ground cinnamon
- 3ml turmeric
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 300g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 400g head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 250ml chicken stock
- 410g tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups cooked IMBO Brown or Black Lentils
- handful coriander
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium. Sauté the onion, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric and cayenne pepper for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, carrots and cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock and tomatoes. Season.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes until tender. Add the lentils and simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve with coriander.
IMBO dried beans, lentils and peas are heart healthy food choices. Research has shown that eating pulses can lower blood cholesterol, reduce blood pressure and help with body weight management, which are all risk factors for heart disease.
Magazine issue date: Aug, 2015