This spinach and 3-cheese roulade is a delightful gluten-free side or vegetarian-friendly main.
- 30 mins
- 400g packet chopped spinach
- 5 eggs, separated
- 230g low-fat smooth cottage cheese
- 45ml gluten-free flour
- 3ml baking powder
- 100g roll garlic & herb goat’s cheese
- 125ml pecorino, finely grated
- 80ml sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
- Heat oven to 180°C. Line a 23cm x 32cm tray with baking paper. Cook the spinach in a splash of water until wilted. Cool. Squeeze out liquid.
- Blitz the spinach, egg yolks, 15ml of the cottage cheese, flour and baking powder until finely chopped. Season.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the spinach mixture. Spread in the prepared tin and bake for about 10 minutes or until firm.
- Beat the remaining cottage cheese and goat’s cheese until creamy. Place a 23cm x 32cm baking paper on your work surface and dust with the pecorino.
- Turn the hot roulade over onto the pecorino and strip off the top paper. Spread with the cheese mixture and scatter over the tomatoes. Roll up from the shortest end using the paper as a guide. Serve immediately.
Magazine issue date: December, 2018