Add Asian flair to your next get together with friends with these steamed buns with pulled pork and pickles.
- 3 hrs
FOR THE STEAMED BUNS
- 5ml instant dried yeast
- 250ml warm water
- 875ml cake flour + extra
- 25ml castor sugar
- 3ml salt
- 125ml milk
- 15ml sunflower oil + extra
- 5ml baking powder
FOR THE PICKLED VEG
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced lengthways
- 125ml water
- 60ml rice vinegar
- 45ml castor sugar
- 10ml sea salt
- 1.5kg pulled pork, to serve
- For the buns, dissolve the yeast in 60ml of the water until foamy. Combine the flour, sugar and
salt and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture, remaining water, milk and oil to the flour
mixture. Mix into a dough, adding a little extra water if needed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and flatten with your hands. Sprinkle over the baking powder and knead in for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough out into 2 x 27cm logs, then cut each into 9 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and place under a damp cloth. Roll each ball out into an oval shape about 3-4mm thick. Rub the dough ovals with extra oil. Fold each over and transfer to a baking paper lined tray. Cover with oiled cling film. Set aside in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- For the pickled veg, combine all the ingredients. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Line a bamboo steamer with baking paper and place on top of a saucepan ¾ full of boiling water. Place 2 buns inside the steamer (don’t let them touch). Cover and steam on medium-high for about 7 minutes or until buns are puffed and cooked. Remove and cover loosely in kitchen towels to keep warm. Repeat with the rest.
- To serve, tear open the buns and fill with pulled pork and pickled veggies. Enjoy while warm.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY ALFRED NQAYI PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: March, 2018