Don’t let the slow roasting time put you off making these sticky coffee rub ribs; it’s not labour intensive at all.
- 3 hrs 10 mins + marinating
- Serves 4-6
FOR THE COFFEE RUB
- 30ml sea salt
- 15ml ground black peppercorns
- 15ml instant coffee
- 5ml garlic powder
- 15ml smoked or plain paprika
- 1.5kg pork belly ribs
- 375ml bbq sauce
- sweet potato chips, to serve
- For the rub, combine all the ingredients, rub over the ribs and marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the ribs in a roasting tray and cover with foil. Roast for about 2½ hours or until tender.
- Baste the ribs with half the sauce and roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway and basting again. Mix through the remaining sauce and heat through without the foil until sticky. Serve with sweet potato chips.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, try this sticky rib, butternut and caramelised onion pizza:
Spread 250ml roast butternut mash onto 1 large pizza base or 2 small flatbreads and sprinkle
with 250g grated mozzarella. Pull the sticky rib meat off the bones (about 125ml) and scatter
on top with 60ml caramelised onions. Bake at 220°C for about 10 minutes or until cheese has
melted. Top with rocket.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: May, 2018