Cosy, comforting and sweet – what could be better?
- 55 minutes
- 250g fresh pitted dates, chopped
- 250ml boiling water
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 125ml butter, chopped
- 180ml soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250ml self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 3ml ground mixed spice
FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE
- 160ml butter, chopped
- 250ml cream
- 250-375ml soft brown sugar
- small handful mint leaves, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 26cm x 16cm baking dish with baking paper.
- Place the dates, water and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and stand for 5 minutes. Place the date mixture in the
bowl of a food processor with the butter and sugar and process until well combined.
- Add the eggs, flour, salt and spice and process until just combined. Pour into the prepared dish and bake for
30-35 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- For the toffee sauce, place the butter, cream and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the butter
has melted. Bring to the boil and cook for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut the pudding into blocks and serve warm with the toffee sauce and scattered mint leaves.
RECIPE & STYLING: MARGIE ELS-BURGER PHOTO: ROELENE PRINSLOO
Magazine issue date: May, 2012