Make your own strawberry and granadilla jam to top delicious cakes and scones.
- 40 mins
- Makes 5 x 250ml bottles
- 1kg strawberries, hulled and halved
- 4½ cups (1kg) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) lemon juice
- 2 cups (500ml) granadilla pulp (fresh or tinned)
- Heat the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and granadilla in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes or until thickened. Test the consistency. (See note below.)
- Skim any foam that comes to the surface regularly.
- Carefully pour the hot jam into 5 x 250ml sterilised jars (fill to the top), seal tightly and allow to cool. Store in a cool, dark place or in the fridge.
Note: To test the consistency, place a saucer in the freezer to chill. To test whether the jam is ready, place a spoonful of it on the cold saucer. Run your finger through the jam and if the line remains, the jam is ready.
Magazine issue date: July, 2012